Tips for Choosing an Interior Door
Prehung Doors vs. Slab Doors
When it comes to choosing an interior door, you have two options: prehung door or slab door.
A prehung door is a self-contained unit that is pre-attached in its own frame. The main parts of a prehung door are: door slab, hinges, and frame.
A slab door is a slab of wood, composite, or steel. Slab doors require hardware to attach to the frame.
Choose A Prehung Door If:
- There is no existing door frame, or the existing frame is damaged.
- You are considering new construction or renovation.
- Installation will be done from the exterior and needs to be weathertight.
Choose A Slab Door If:
- Cost is a determining purchase factor.
- You feel especially comfortable with your craftsmanship and woodworking skills.
- You find the weight and bulkiness of a pre-hung door daunting.
- Installation will be done from the interior.